Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

The Hype Over Stanley Cups

Heart Opulencia
Two of students’ 40 oz Stanley tumblers.

Stanley Cups are the most trendy brand of cup on the market right now.

Many people, especially teenagers, buy Stanley cups both online and in person, and the ones who want to get the limited edition Stanley cups line up in front of stores to get their hands on a brand new tumbler.

What is it about these cups that make them such a hot commodity?

Although the Stanley brand was founded in 1913, Stanley cup sales skyrocketed this year when they took off on social media. After the new pink limited-edition Starbucks x Stanley cup came out, people went as far as waiting outside their local Target in the rain just so they could buy the new cup.

“The thing that makes the cup so popular is the fact that it can fit in cup holders, and that it is very aesthetic looking,” Adriana Mazzara ‘27 said.

Stanley cups are usually $50, which is comparable to the ever-so popular Hydro Flask. Despite its high price, people have noticed that the cup’s design has many flaws; including the fact that they leak, the straw falls out, it doesn’t fit in backpack pockets so one needs to carry it around, and the ice melts quickly.

“I think the cup is overrated. I don’t understand the hype of it. I’d never pay that much money for a cup. I could get the same amount of drink in a $5 bottle,” Penn Staker Brooks ‘27 said.

These cups have become one of the most trendy items sold in 2023, outnumbering many other internet trends.

“I think that social media, mostly TikTok, has contributed to the hype of the Stanley cup and influenced many people to buy it,” Mazzara stated.

The Stanley brand is now 110 years old and because of social media it has evolved into one of the most popular drinkware brands around.

But do students think this trend is here to stay? Or is this another fad that will soon fade into nothingness?

“Everything goes through a little phase. Everyone buys stuff that they think is cute and cool and they later leave it in a drawer in their house and forget about it. Though, I would be willing to pay that much for a Hydro Flask because they last a while and it keeps your water cold or warm,” Oliver Feit-Leichman ‘24 stated.