Breaking News
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

BGHS Student recalls Super Bowl LVIII before NFL Draft

Sports writer Ben Vaskov shares experience in anticipation of NFL Draft on April 25th

(AP Photo/John Locher)

On January 28th, the Super Bowl matchup between the Kansas City Chiefs, the AFC champions, and the San Francisco 49ers, the NFC champions, was announced. This followed the Kansas City Chiefs defeating the Baltimore Ravens and the San Francisco 49ers overcoming the Detroit Lions.

The Super Bowl matchup had a touch of frustration, leaving some dissatisfied with the absence of the Detroit Lions, a team that hadn’t made it to the playoffs in a long time. On the other hand, many were eager to see the Baltimore Ravens, hoping to break the potential dynasty of the Kansas City Chiefs. 

Hosting the Super Bowl in Las Vegas added to the excitement, promising to be Las Vegas’s biggest show ever.

Throughout the NFL season, the Kansas City Chiefs, particularly on the offensive side, faced inconsistency with drop passes, overthrown balls, and turnovers. Surprisingly, their defense proved crucial in keeping them competitive by consistently holding opponents under 30 points.

The San Francisco 49ers, led by quarterback Brock Purdy, surprised many by making it to Super Bowl 58. Despite being the last pick in the 2022 NFL draft, known as Mr. Irrelevant, Purdy showcased his skills throughout the season. The 49ers heavily relied on their defensive stars such as Dre Greenlaw, Fred Warner, Jimmy Ward, and Nick Bosa. Interestingly, Charvarius Ward, now with the 49ers, had previously played for the Kansas City Chiefs in Super Bowl 54, where they defeated the 49ers. During Super Bowl media night, Charvarius shared that “being on the other side was better in every possible way.”

Benjamin Vaskov

The two Super Bowl teams stayed at the Lake Las Vegas hotels, approximately 25 miles off the Las Vegas Strip, in Henderson, Nevada. The NFL aimed to eliminate distractions by keeping players away from on-site gambling at these hotels.

As for Super Bowl 58, despite high expectations for scoring, the first quarter no scoring. Both teams struggled with fumbles, but the 49ers took a lead of 3-0 a field goal. A few drives later, a trick play involved a wide receiver throwing to Christian McCaffrey for a touchdown and a field goal 10-3 49ers.

The third quarter had a slow start for Mahomes’ offense, including an interception on the first drive. After a muffed punt recovery and a touchdown pass to Marquez Valdes-Scantling the chiefs brought the score to 10-13 49ers.

Entering the fourth quarter, the 49ers took the lead at 16-13 after a touchdown to Jauan Jenins, but the Chiefs blocked the extra point.  The chiefs responded with their own field goal. With just under two minutes left, the 49ers kicked another field goal, leading 19-16. The Chiefs, with only seconds remaining, drove down the field and scored a field goal, forcing the game into overtime. 19-19

In overtime, the 49ers won the coin toss and opted to receive the ball. Despite a third-and-13 situation, a penalty against the Chiefs gave the 49ers a first down. The 49ers eventually kicked a field goal, leading 22-19. The Chiefs, requiring a touchdown to win, successfully drove down the field, and with five seconds left in overtime, Mahomes connected with Marquez Valdes-Scantling for the game-winning touchdown. The Kansas City Chiefs secured their third Super Bowl in five years with a final score of 25-22.

(AP Photo/Godofredo A. Vásquez)