Breaking News
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

A Buck for the Box

Mitebox strives for more charitable acts coming off a generous 2023.
Group+of+students+who+donated+on+a+Mitebox+Tuesday.+
Ms. Nicole Wellington, Campus Minister
Group of students who donated on a Mitebox Tuesday.

Mitebox is a regular part of the week at Bishop Gorman. Every Tuesday at 8:00 am, Ms. Wellington announces that it is “Mitebox Tuesday” and who the money from that week will be helping. 

Most of the money the school raises goes to families to help them through hard times. Last semester, Bishop Gorman raised $12,207.10 for the Mitebox, not including the Miracle Minute for Maui which raised just over $55,000. 

Ms. Wellington explained, “For most of them, I’m not quite sure how they found out, but it’s kind of through word-of-mouth.” Social workers in Las Vegas find out about Mitebox and tell other people they know about it. They then have the people they are working with apply for Mitebox and the Matthew 25 Board decides who will get the money from that week.

The Matthew 25 Board is a group of students who work with Campus Ministry, mainly deciding where Mitebox money goes.

Students grab a doughnut on the morning of a Mitebox Tuesday. (Ms. Nicole Wellington, Campus Minister)

“If every student really only gave one dollar, that would be $15,000…my heart would jump for joy. Not necessarily because it’s a lot of money and we could give more than that every week, but just to know that everyone would be willing to give one dollar,” Ms. Wellington expressed. 

This past week, one class donated $179, the highest any class has raised all year. That is the kind of work and donations that would truly help families in need every week. 

The hopes for this coming semester is “A Buck for the Box.”