Breaking News
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

One Day More: Bishop Gorman’s Production of Les Misérables Opens This Weekend

Benjamin Tamayo ‘25

After months of rehearsal, the students of the Gael’s Theatre Guild are finally ready to share their production of Les Misérables with the community this upcoming weekend and next weekend. 

The show itself is a heavy lift for any theater group, let alone a high school. It is relatively unheard of for an all-student cast of the show to be assigned on this scale. The challenge, though daunting, excites the cast.

“It really is a huge show. The technical elements that go into telling this massive story are enough to challenge any professional theater troupe. That’s why it’s so exciting that us students are taking on this task,” Maddie Brown ‘24 says.

Les Misérables is an epic opera based on the 19th century novel of the same name by Victor Hugo. During a time of revolution in France, the story follows a man named Jean Valjean as he rises from the ashes of slavery to become a father and mayor of a town called Toulon. While revolution and intrigue are at the forefront of the story, the emotional core revolves around Valjean and the reconciliation he makes with his past, struggling to become an honest man while escaping his past and the law.

“[Les Misérables] is so powerful because everyone in the audience has a character they can relate to. For a story that took place such a long time ago it still moves people straight to their core in the best way,” Luke Martin ‘25, who plays Valjean, tells Lance.

Members of the community have been buzzing for months about the show, excited to see what the Gaels Theatre Guild can do with such an epic story. Some shows are already sold out and the run hasn’t even started yet. Les Misérables is such a well known musical (known to be the most popular musical in the world) that anticipation for the show has been building steadily throughout the months.

“I am extremely excited to see the show. Ever since we watched the movie in theology class last year, this show has been my favorite musical. I’m anticipating an incredible show that will be hard to forget,” Anthony Limjoco ‘24 explains.

Now, it is time for the cast and crew to show the Vegas community what high school students can do with such a huge show as ‘Les Mis.’ Tickets are available online and at the box office, with half priced student tickets being offered to anyone who presents their student ID.

Vive la France!