Breaking News
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Darren Waller Presentation

In a powerful presentation on sports and substance abuse, NFL standout Darren Waller spoke to students at Bishop Gorman, going in depth about his life from high school to the NFL and the struggles he faced with substance abuse.
    Current New York Giant tight end, Darren Waller, opened his talk with a description of his friends giving him pain killers in high school. Waller spoke about how he found himself in tough situations leading him to get kicked off of his high school basketball team. This wouldn’t be the first time Waller would be removed from a team for a period of time.For example,when he was in college at Georgia Tech he would fail drug tests and find himself abusing substances and alcohol. He then fast-forwarded to his rookie year with the Baltimore Ravens where the media would bash him for not being able to pass a drug test.
    Waller had a wake up call in 2017 when he overdosed in his Jeep. Waller spoke about how he overcame addiction by surrounding himself with the right people. Also, Waller’s ability to find himself without substances pushed him to overcome his addiction.
    Kaden Woodard ‘24 attended the presentation and shared what he took away from Waller’s talk. Kaden summarized Waller’s message “to be yourself and not try and fit in with others just cause they are doing something they think is cool and be who you are and don’t give in to others negative actions.” What resonated with Kaden the most was “Waller talking about overdosing in his car because people who are in the NFL, you would never think they are going through stuff emotionally because they have all the money and fame.”
    Darren Waller’s talk with the SASA club about his drug use experience emphasizes the importance of open conversation and seeking help. His honesty and openness provides hope and encouragement to those facing similar struggles. Through sharing his story, Waller reminds us that we are never alone and there is always a better answer than substance abuse.