Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Legacy and Devotion

Father Bill Kenny Gifted Statue to Commemorate Years at Bishop Gorman
Maika Eugenio ’26
A statue of Pope Saint John XXIII dedicated to Father Bill.

Fr. Bill Kenny is a very prominent person at Bishop Gorman who is an alumni of Bishop Gorman class of 1962.

He has been a part of the Gorman community for just over 80 years. He has been chaplain of the school twice (at both the old site and new site).

“He offers pastoral support, liturgical celebrations, priestly wisdom and Christian joy to the entire Gorman community,” says Fr. Jacob Knee, who is now the new chaplain of the school.

Though he has stepped down as chaplain, he remains at the heart of Gorman life as pastor of Holy Spirit Catholic Church and chaplain to the Bishop Gorman Football Team.

Fr. Jacob stated that “the new statue of Pope St. John XXIII in Our Lady of Lourdes Alumni Chapel was given by the school in Fr. Bill’s honor to show Bishop Gorman’s appreciation of, and love for Fr. Bill.”

Pope St. John XXIII is Fr. Bill’s favorite saint.

Sabrina Young ‘24 helped out at Fr. Bill’s mass on Oct. 11th and said that he has had a major impact on her spiritual growth.

“Participating in Fr. Bill’s mass was a wonderful experience because he has been so impactful towards my spiritual growth and my involvement with Church activities, such as masses and retreats. As a member of the Gorman community we deeply appreciate his commitment and contributions to the school. It was a moment filled with genuine joy and gratitude seeing Fr. Bill being presented with a statue dedicated towards him.”