Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Spanish Honor Society Unveils A New App

Spanish+Honor+Society+Students+
Alijah Carnell ’24
Spanish Honor Society Students

Introducing Leaf, the innovative new app designed by Bishop Gorman’s Spanish Honor Society member Katelyn Camberio ‘25. With Leaf, learning the Spanish language becomes an engaging and a fun journey. Instead of traditional language learning apps Camberio ‘25, the creator of the app, made it an interactive experience that makes learning Spanish effective and enjoyable.

Camberio’s inspiration is heartwarming, coming from her grandfather who immigrated from Cuba to the US,  “he came with his family and the clothes he was wearing, making it hard to provide a living for his family.” This gave her the idea of Learning English in A Flash (LEAF) “because of the missed opportunities immigrants experience when moving to the US and not having the ability to speak English.” The app uses audio and visualization to help Spanish speakers learn proficient English to help with employment, getting into college, and just an overall better experience in an English-speaking country. 

What separates the LEAF is the engaging features it includes. For example, when learning an English word the app will show the word in Spanish and English, followed by a picture of the word, and then a video of a middle school or high school student saying the word. Camberio emphasized on a student saying the word to build a connection to a younger audience. Fellow Spanish National Honor Society student, Joel Puenuelas ‘24, described the app as having multiple creative tools that can be utilized in gaining a robust learning of English.”

LEAF is a promising solution to learning a language, particularly for Spanish speakers seeking to master English. Through its interactive learning paths, and comprehensive content, LEAF provides an engaging learning experience. By using modern technology and resources Camberio, as well as the whole Spanish Honor Society, were able to cater to help Spanish speakers who want to learn English and to unlock new opportunities.