Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Students Stand Against Leukemia and Lymphoma

Lucia+Mazzara+25%E2%80%9D+%28left%29+and+Yvonna+Shuckman+25%E2%80%9D+%28right%29+were+at+the+LLS+signing+day.++On+this+day+they+signed+their+contracts+for+the+years+and+picked+their+team+mission+pillar+that+they+would+be+focusing+on+for+the+year.++The+mission+pillar+they+chose+was+advocacy.+
Gina Mazzara
Lucia Mazzara 25” (left) and Yvonna Shuckman 25” (right) were at the LLS signing day. On this day they signed their contracts for the years and picked their team mission pillar that they would be focusing on for the year. The mission pillar they chose was advocacy.

The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) has reached new heights of popularity across Las Vegas when it comes to high schoolers raising money for blood-cancer.

Many high school students are participating in the seven-week long fundraising journey to raise money for better research, education, support, policy and advocacy for blood-cancer patients. Their vision is to make our world a blood cancer free world by finding the cure to leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin’s disease, and myeloma.

LLS states that their Student Visionaries Program is “a philanthropic leadership development program for exemplary high school students. Participants foster professional skills such as entrepreneurship, marketing, and project management all while raising money to help cure cancer.”

LLS has invested more than $1.7billion in cancer research since 1949 and has helped advance 70% of the blood cancer treatment options approved by the FDA since 2017. One of the many teams, “Team Mission to Remission” led by Yvonna Shuckman 25” and Lucia Mazzara 25”, are working to raise their goal of $300,000.

Mazzara’s mission is to find more ways to help her uncle who was diagnosed with blood cancer, and stated “I found out about LLS and I fell in love with their mission and was really inspired with their mission.”

Mazzara said that the mission LLS strives to work for is what inspires her the most. Mazzara stated, “with my uncle currently battling blood cancer, LLS’s mission really inspires me to help not just my uncle, but for all individuals battalions battling blood cancer worldwide.” She wanted to help not just her uncle but all of the suffering blood-cancer patients worldwide.

Shuckman’s mission is to make more and more people aware about the organization.
Shuckman stated, “I see it as an internal competition with myself and kind of want to see how much I can do and how much I can help others in need.”

Both Mazzara and Shuckman do not see fundraising for LLS as stressful, instead they see it as a fun and friendly competition that is going towards a good cause. Mazzara stated, “I just really want to make an impact. Obviously it’s helping my uncle, but it’s not just directly impacting him, it impacts many many people, and I just want to bring light into someone’s life.”

To donate and make a difference, click the link attached and donate today. https://events.lls.org/snv/svoylasvegas24/Lily-Martin