Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Taking Back the Throne

Mr. Gregory Cava
Bishop Gorman High School Football Team getting ready to take the field against Corona Centennial (CA) on September 8, 2023.

Following an eventful few months full of football, the Gaels capped off their undefeated season against Liberty High School in the Nevada 5A State Championship on November 21st, 2023.

Following their blemish free record, Bishop Gorman football was crowned National Champions by numerous platforms across the country, including the renowned MaxPreps, ESPN, Fox Sports and USAToday. Outscoring opponents 594-185, the Gaels continue their dominance over the state of Nevada and reclaim the throne over the nation.

The Gaels took the values of hard work and discipline into the building each day starting from last January. There was no room for error as Bishop Gorman had yet another top ten toughest schedule in the country, according to MaxPreps.

A leader on the defense and a four-year member of the football program, Zyzaiah Duncan ‘24 ended his high school football career on a feat he has been chasing since arriving in Las Vegas. Moving from the state of Hawai’i, Duncan knew that attending Bishop Gorman would lead to both individual and team successes. Winning a national championship was always the goal but never turned into reality until this fall. Being a mentor and hard-working athlete, Duncan had his work cut out for him as one of the top defensive backs in the state.

Duncan stated, “It was a surreal experience. Everyone put in dedication and hardwork. We all showed up each day with a goal in mind and worked tirelessly both on and off the field just to perform at a high level each Friday night.”

Senior defensive lineman Joshua Ulofoshio ‘24 comes from a family of national champions as his brother, Edefuan won multiple championships during his years as a Gael. However, (Josh) Ulofoshio left his own mark on Fertitta Field as he worked with the football program all four years of high school. Ulofoshio was known for his commitment to his position and someone his teammates could always count on on-and-off the field.

When asked about his senior season, Ulofoshio stated, “Not having a freshman year, there was a lot of ground to make up to achieve this national championship. Showing up to practice, emphasizing all the little things and doing everything at full speed eventually led to our success.”

Team captain and top offensive lineman S.J. Alofaituli ‘25 will be returning as a senior next year in hopes to repeat success. Working day-in and day-out, Alofaituli has played a large role on the best high school football offensive line unit in the country. Being a leader on-and-off the field, Alofaituli has been able to block out all the accolades and focus on the task at hand, accrediting his family, teammates, and coaches for their daily positive influence on him.

Alofaituli stated, “The foundation was set. Now moving forward, we have to take everything from last year and do it ten times harder […] we’re always gonna have a target on our back but we like the pressure and it won’t take away from our goal of repeating as national champions.”

Receiving the great honor of the Izzy Dimaria award, defensive lineman Joshua Drowley ‘24 knows all too well about the work it takes to achieve such a feat. Drowley, who led by example on the field and in the weight room earned the honor of a national champion through putting in countless hours of work in all four years as a Gael. Ending his high school career with a great honor, Drowley waited patiently for his opportunities and never failed to make the most of them, he now leaves as a mentor for young student-athletes.

Receiving their rings Saturday February 10th, 2024, the Gaels national championship run has officially concluded. Now the 2023 season is merely a memory and a stepping stone moving forward.