Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Ayanna Watson Gatorade Player of the Year

Mr. Greg Cava
Ayanna Watson serves ball in Bishop Gorman Women’s Volleyball state championship.

Bishop Gorman girls varsity volleyball player Ayanna Watson received “Gatorade Player of the Year” for the 2023 season.

“Gatorade Player of the Year” is a title that is given to the most talented young athletes in theri sport in all the different states in the United States. With incredible stats and performances, Ayanna Watson, ‘26, earned this amazing title for the state of Nevada for volleyball.

Watson is a sophomore at Bishop Gorman, and winning this award at such a young age impressed several coaches and other talented athletes around Nevada. Watson has many amazing coaches that helped her grow into the player she is today. People may wonder what constructive criticism or advice coaches give to her, and to add she said that she “loves getting feedback from her teammates, since they have another perspective when they are on the court with her.”

Moving forward, she has a specific mindset that helps her strive to receive this award for her next years at Bishop Gorman. She states that, “getting this award has helped her get a boost of confidence on and off the court.”

There could be a lot of pressure because of how young she is, and to reflect on self growth and personal care, Watson said that she will “always strive to be better than she is.”

Her biggest advice to young or beginner volleyball players is to “trust the process, believe in yourself, and keep working hard.”

Bishop Gorman students admire the humbleness of her personality and the determination she has in her playing. She speaks more on advice for those trying to get into volleyball and says, “If you trust in the process, it can never fail you. Believing in yourself and having confidence is also one of the things that a lot of people struggle with, so having that makes you a step ahead of the competition! Lastly, working your hardest always puts you in the best position to get better.”