Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Recruiting Tomorrow’s Leaders

Miles Boquiren
Mr. Edward Joyce presenting the slideshow to members the Military Leadership Club.

The Military Leadership club recently held their meeting on January 24th in room 400 and welcomed back special guest speaker, Edward Joyce.

President Gianna Nakhle ‘25 said, “we had Mr. Joyce previously speak at one of our other meetings, and he was extremely knowledgeable and fun to have. I was very excited to have him as a guest again.”

Joyce has been recruiting for the Navy for 23 years. He enjoys going out and speaking to the youth, and has helped get the rising generations of leaders into the Naval Academy.

“I came here to talk to kids who would even entertain the idea of leadership. My concept of leadership in high school was a captain of a team, the best looking person, or the most outgoing personality, but these have nothing to do with leadership,” stated Joyce.

This meeting was heavily focused on the admissions process for the Air Force Academy in Colorado Springs. In his speech, he highlighted the fact that being a great leader is a key step into presenting yourself to an admissions officer. Joyce gave the official Air Force Academy Admissions Briefing Slideshow; talking about GPA, SAT, and ACT requirements for wanting the best chance of being accepted.

Ricki Barlow ‘27 said, “the most interesting thing I learned from this meeting was that after your four years in any military academy, you are automatically entered into the military draft and must serve five years in order to fulfill your commitment of receiving a free education.

When being asked why more students should attend the Military Leadership Club, Nakhle stated, “There is so much knowledge you gain from each meeting,” Nakhle said, “even if you don’t want to be in the military, it’s good information to know and keep in your mind.”

Barlow added, “People should join the Military Leadership Club because it teaches various leadership skills that can be useful throughout a person’s career,” …, “the club also educates students about the various military academies across the country and allows us to engage with various speakers.”