Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Band Joins All-State Prestige

Dr. Cao
(From left to right) Daniel Rice and Connor Reyburn holding the instruments they will play in the All State Band.

Three Bishop Gorman students were recently selected to be a part of the 2024 Nevada All-State Band.

Bryce Grove ‘25

Through the Nevada Music Educators Association, Bishop Gorman students Bryce Grove ‘25, Daniel Rice ‘26, and Connor Reyburn ‘24 will all have the opportunity to play alongside other students from throughout the state of Nevada.

The Nevada All-State program contains many ensembles for students to try out for, including: band, orchestra, choir, guitar, and mariachi. Auditions for these programs were held from Nov. 13th to Nov. 16th and were very competitive, with students competing with over five hundred others for a spot in the band.

Connor Reyburn ‘24 and Bryce Grove ‘25 both agreed on how hard auditions were for the ensemble, with Grove stating, “I was notified about the audition a couple months beforehand and had to practice nearly every day in order to perfect the pieces.”

The Nevada All-State Band will be conducted by Brian O. Walden. A U.S. Navy veteran with plenty of experience, he was an incredible choice for the Nevada Music Educators Association. Walden is known for conducting live performances for many well-known artists such as: Jason Mraz, Colbie Caillat, Phillip Phillips, and The Fray.

Dr. Carmella Cao said, “I have not heard of Captain Walden, however, the Nevada Music Educators Association always selects incredible conductors and teachers.”

Dr. Cao and the three other students will begin going to Reno for the first weekend of February. She says, “the students who participate in All-State often create strong friendships and return to their schools with renewed enthusiasm that they share with their colleagues.” With Connor Reyburn ‘24 adding how he is very excited to play and is, “looking forward to meeting new people and going to Reno.”