Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Quick to Mature

Freshman Starting on Varsity Football
Linebacker Tamatoa Gaoteote ’27 celebrating with his teammates following a big play against rival Liberty High School.

The class of 2027 is playing influential defensive roles on the varsity football team who is currently ranked #1 in the country across multiple platforms.

Three freshmen specifically have all started in multiple games this season and played their part in this year’s undefeated team. Linebacker Tamatoa Gaoteote ‘27, defensive backs Hayden Stepp ‘27, and Justin Colin ‘27 have all stepped into large roles and will continue to lead their respective positions.

Linebacker Tamatoa Gaoteote ‘27 has posed an impressive statline thus far with 67 total tackles, five tackles for loss, six quarterback pressures, one sack, and one pass deflection in just nine games. Gaoteote has taken over the middle linebacker position and is having great success.

Focusing on what he has learned this season, Gaoteote stated, “play smarter not harder, do your job 100% and trust your brothers to do theirs.” He continued, “I just have to focus on my alignment, assignment, and execution.”

Defensive back Hayden Stepp ‘27 has found success in the Bishop Gorman secondary as he has recorded 14 total tackles, one tackle for loss, two interceptions, and two pass deflections through six games; starting immediately from the first game of the season, Stepp was forced to play at the top of his game against high level competition all season long.

With zero high school football experience, Stepp stated “watching film, correcting our technique, and just overall getting better everyday” has led to his growth this season.

Defensive back Justin Colin ‘27 has produced nine total tackles, one pass deflection, and one forced fumble after appearing in five games along with multiple starts thus far. Being the other half of this freshman defensive back duo, Colin played well whenever his number was called.

Stepping into big shoes to fill, Colin stated, “in my eyes this was just another opportunity to showcase my skills and show the coaches why I belong here.” He continued, “Everything’s not always going to go right, but it’s how you respond to the matter.”

Three freshmen were quick to mature this varsity football season and have many years ahead of them in their high school careers. Only going to get better, they have “big aspirations and goals” for the Bishop Gorman football teams to follow.