Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Champions Once Again!

Women’s Volleyball Wins State Championship
Mr. Greg Cava
Women’s Varsity Volleyball Team following their state championship victory.

The Bishop Gorman women’s volleyball won their fifth state title in seven years on Saturday, November 11th.

After coming out of the previous day’s semifinal game virtually unscathed with a 3-0 win over Reno High School, the team retained all momentum to seal the state championship; however, the team they were to face-off against was none other than last year’s state champions, Coronado High School.

“Coronado was our biggest rival of the season,” said varsity middle blocker and now two-time state champion, Ashley Duckworth ‘24, “but I think I can speak for the team when I say we were all very excited to play Coronado. We remained steady throughout the match only dropping a set. During the final few points of the game, the tension changed and everyone knew we were going to close it out.”

Women’s volleyball team holds up state trophy (Mr. Greg Cava)

Indeed, the moment was never too big, clearly with their 34-5 overall record, 12-0 in league play, and the stacked lineup with several future collegiate athletes, the lady Gaels ended up defeating the Cougars in a 3-1 match.

“We played this team in past years so we knew what to expect. Coach Nunley advised us to run a fast offense because they wouldn’t be able to keep up,” Duckworth stated.

Now the women’s volleyball team holds the current state title, the fifth in program history, and a special one as they brought it back home from Coronado.

Duckworth, now a departing senior, concluded, “ I know Gorman volleyball will continue to have success and win many more championships and I am glad I got to be a part of this great program.”