Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Women’s Soccer Season Kicks Off

First Game Results Against Faith Lutheran and Goals for the Season
Varsity+competing+against+Faith+Lutheran.+
Mrs. Lopez
Varsity competing against Faith Lutheran.

On Thursday, August 24, the Lady Gaels soccer season began. 

After a tough match against Faith Lutheran, last season’s state champions, the Varsity team won 2-1. Hunter Borgel and Stephanie Hackett scored, securing the team a victory. 

Variety half-time talk. (Mrs. Lopez)

This was freshman Laila Lazzara’s first game of her high school career. She is the varsity goalie. She commented, “Being a freshman as a goalie is scary, but I have adjusted to it well because the whole team defends very well and tries to ensure (the ball) doesn’t get back to me.” 

JV praying before the game. (Mrs. Medford )

Lazarra described the game as a “tough battle.” She said, “We worked hard in the second half to make sure we win the game and not end with a 1-1 tie.” 

Senior Hunter Borgel played her first game as team captain. She stated, “For me, being named captain is a privilege that I take very seriously. It’s not  just a ‘C’ on the jersey, but a role that is so critical in the team’s overall performance.” 

Borgel later commented, “I think this game was a great start to the season. Beating the state champions of last season proves to the team, as well as the league, that we are a team to lookout for…The game foreshadows the rest of the season as a huge battle. Every game is important, this game was just the start of the path to a state title.”

The JV team played later in the evening. After a tough battle, they lost 3-2. Faith scored a goal late in the second half off of a corner kick to put them on top.