Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

“The Smokeless Cloud That Targets Teens”

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&url=https%3A%2F%2Fnta2014.sched.com%2Fspeaker%2Fcjenson&psig=AOvVaw2SZc7ymBiDqeywGaZoO6eG&ust=1700342514491000&source=images&cd=vfe&opi=89978449&ved=0CBIQjhxqFwoTCNj_sc_7y4IDFQAAAAAdAAAAABBX
Dr. Chris Jenson M.D.

On October 29th, 2023, Dr. Chris Jenson M.D. came to speak with the students about teen vaping. He provided students with facts about vaping and the risk factors of it.

“Vaping is hard to deal with, so seek family and friends for help,” Jenson said.

Jenson highlighted the harsh reality of vaping; what it does to a person both physically and mentally. He went over the types of chemicals in a vape pen, how it affects the lungs, and the harmfulness of it in a neurological stance.

Having graduated from Notre Dame, and earning his medical degree from Loyola University, he also spoke from experiences he witnessed himself along with research he had done. He also is a science ambassador for the centers for Disease Control and Prevention. He has a teacher certification from University of Kansas that he uses to educate adolescents on public health.

Sarah Mae ‘25 shared what she learned from the presentation, “there’s more than just being a device that helps someone feel better; there are so many health problems that these companies are not showing to the public.”

Sarah Mae ‘25 also added her thoughts on Jenson, himself, and how his presentation went. “The guest speaker was very informative with the scientific and business aspects of vaping. I liked his use of images to help us visualize the overall effects of vaping. It made the overall presentation very engaging.”