Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Unveiling the Ultimate Stride

When it comes to sports, Bishop Gorman students are given a place to train with talented coaches who want to help them improve in their sport.

With that in mind, for the new year the school decided to build a brand new track for the track and field athletes.

“I think we are going to be able to make new personal records and be able to use the new track to its full extent,” Tatiana Mcgrath ‘24 stated.

The benefits to the new track are that many athletes will not have to complain about injuries or feeling awful after training due to the feeling the track provided for them. This is very important because their performance won’t be lower than the potential they contain within themselves.

“The old track gave a lot of people shin splints because of how worn down it was. It was like you were running on concrete and it didn’t have that bouncy effect,” Jadelyn Lopez ‘24 stated.

The downside for the new track is that unfortunately it had not been open which means that the track and field athletes did not have a place to train for a long time. Many athletes wee upset about this because it is important to have a practice location, so they can stay consistent with their training.

“There is less physical training on a consistent track. Athletes now have to find a way to do it on their own which is less effective than doing it on a track, so when it comes to the end of the season it is going to negatively affect them,” Caleb Avakian 26’ stated.

The track officially opened on January 23, 2024 for pre-season. Athletes will be pleased to know that their season has officially started and they can begin training for the upcoming season.