Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Senioritis Strikes: Class of 2024 Finds Cure in Roblox Adventures

Though now adults, the Class of 2024 refuses to give up on their Roblox dreams.

Roblox is widely considered to be a children’s game. Everyone knows (or used to be) a little sibling that smears their greasy, cheeto-dusted fingers on their iPad screens while vigorously attempting to complete a Roblox Obby in record time. While these anecdotes lend to the idea that Roblox is a game made for children, with a little investigation one might find that a remarkable amount of senior students continue to occasionally play Roblox to this day.

“A little Roblox session with the squadron has always piqued my fancy. I don’t think I’ll ever stop… why should I?” Anthony Limjoco ‘24 tells the Lance.

But what is it about this children’s game that still draws adults to play it? Perhaps the reason is Roblox reminds them of a simpler time in their lives where college admissions, jobs, and school work weren’t on their minds 24/7. 

According to studies by the American Psychological Association, children today report more anxiety than child psych-ward patients in the 1950’s. With all of these things to worry about, is it so strange that 18 year-olds would seek refuge in a game that reminds them of their childhood? 

“I play Roblox to escape from reality, but I usually end up working at the Pizza Place,” says Jasmine Onwutuebe ‘24.

This trend of older adolescents playing Roblox seems like a fun and harmless statistic, but a deeper dive into the reasons they still play could reveal a much darker side of the story. The pressures that teens face today are unlike those ever seen by previous generations, especially with the rising popularity of social media. Students are increasingly seeking ways to escape their lives, and if Roblox does the trick for them, then let them play.

“Whether it be ‘Life In Paradise’ or ‘Prison Break’, Roblox has been a constant escape in my life from the hardships and struggles of living in the real world,” Jordan Kadohiro ‘24 explains. “My real home is made of blocks.”

The seniors of BG are proving that even in the final stretch of high school, the game of life is better played with a touch of virtual whimsy. As they set out on their next adventures, the only thing certain is that in a world of pixels and possibilities, the Class of 2024 has the building blocks to achieve their dreams.