Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Ready, Set, Fight!

Sage Barden ’24
Daniel Gostanian ’24 wrestles a member of the Palo Verde wrestling team.

Coming off their first ever 4A state win in the 2022-2023 season, the Gaels varsity wrestling team started off their season strong in 2024.

The Gaels have had success at home and on the road. In league duels, the Gaels have a strong 3-1 record as well as placing number one in a team title in Arizona despite having a younger group of wrestlers this season.

The team’s head coach, Coach Tyler Perry stated, “in the prior year winning state, we had a good strong senior class. Knowing we were going to be having younger guys, we had to have guys step up to the plate, and keep going.”

Wrestler Cash Bazan ‘26 said, “winning the team title in Arizona was great because it brought us closer as a team, it helped us gain confidence for our tournament in California.”

In their California tournament, the Gaels placed twelfth out of the sixty-five teams competing, and on Jan. 17th, the Gaels beat Basic High School, 31-34.

The team’s success is greatly shown by how the older wrestlers on the team have helped the younger wrestlers as they enter the program. With teammates helping each other, they can win more tournaments.

“Everyone in the program is helping the younger wrestlers when they come in. Knowing we have younger guys makes it harder, but that’s only pushing us to be more accountable at practice,”said Bazan.