Breaking News
  • May 20Congratulations Class of 2024
  • May 20BGHS Men's Lacrosse Wins State
  • May 6Prom King and Queen: Bernice Moshos and Alex Perez
  • April 15Mr. Tracy Goode named Principal for the 2024-2025 school year
The Student News Site of Bishop Gorman High School

The Lance

The Lance

The Lance

Bishop Gorman Hits the Ice!

John Brooks

Starting this school year, Bishop Gorman High School has added a hockey team to their sports roster.

When one thinks of Las Vegas, the desert always comes to mind, not ice. But since 2017, the sport of hockey has evolved exponentially in the past years. This is all thanks to Las Vegas’s very own professional hockey team, the Las Vegas Golden Knights, who have done so much for the community here in the Las Vegas valley. Of course, after winning the Stanley Cup this past NHL season, hockey has been forever engraved in the Las Vegas community. Now, Bishop Gorman has followed by inducting a new hockey team to their elite athletics program.

The team has gotten off to a strong start with two shutout wins against Orange Lutheran High School and Mater Dei High School. The official season kicks off on Sept. 21st against Faith Lutheran High School.

John Brooks

So far, there are only five actual Bishop Gorman students on the team which seems a bit odd. Many may argue that this squad cannot be considered a real Bishop Gorman team, but all the students will argue that they represent all that hard work and dedication that the school has established within the athletics department. The team has set a Bishop Gorman worthy training routine of three days on the ice, two days training in the ATC, and leaving the weekends for scrimmages and games. Liam Marsh ‘25 states that “even though most of the team does not go to Bishop Gorman, there is a sense of pride when we represent such a school.”

Students Aiden Posner ‘27, Jeffrey Baldi ‘26, Cash Creel ‘27, Dylan Kelly ‘26 , and Liam Marsh ‘25 are the five Bishop Gorman students on the team, and they all hope to inspire and pave the way for future Bishop Gorman classes to represent the hockey team.

Obviously the team lacks student density, but Jeffrey Baldi ‘26 states that the team is nothing short of a Bishop Gorman team, “the name Bishop Gorman means the whole reason we play so well. We want to make sure we represent Bishop Gorman well and perform to the Bishop Gorman standards which are very high and important.”

John Brooks

Agreed among all the players is that the team has high expectations reflected off of their impressive roster. Marsh predicts that “as time goes on, Bishop Gorman will become a nationally ranked school in hockey.”

Awaiting the drop of the puck on Sept. 21st, both varsity and junior varsity hockey teams are ready to “play to the Bishop Gorman standards,” as proclaimed by Jeffrey Baldi ‘26.