Gaels Wrestling dominates mountain region 4A championships

Keri 3-2-1

The wrestling team huddles up before a meet

The Gaels emerged as the Mountain Region 4A Team Champions

The Gaels scored a total of 231.0 team points in a close race for first with the likes of Sierra Vista (216.0 points) and Silverado (185.0 points). The team was in a tug-of-war all day with sole possession of 1st place until the semi-finals round, which is notorious for pushing teams over the edge in tournament team races. This round was dominated by Bishop Gorman victories.

What soon became a wave of dominance started when Sophomore Riley Watt won a close match against Silverado wrestler Renz Soninga 4-3 in the Semi-final match. From then on, it was nothing short of a Gaels takeover, as Junior Vincent Vogan, senior Ryan Kuckler, senior Colin Kirkpatrick, junior Danny Gostanian, freshman Cash Bazan, senior Alex Fonte, sophomore Kage Mir, junior Jacob Norcross, and senior Dathan Rodriguez all would advance to the regional finals.

Senior Ryan Kuckler commented on the team’s regional success saying, “this is the first time we’ve had a full roster all year and look what happened; it just goes to show how hard work all year is able to finally pay off in the end.”

The team would go on to finish with four regional champions, five regional finalists and 15 total qualifiers, and a team first within the Mountain Region.

The Gaels look to continue their winning streak into the 4A State Championships, where they look to steal the 4A team title away from other Vegas 4A contenders Palo Verde, Arbor View, and Sierra Vista High School.

The Gaels compete at Western High School on Saturday, February 17.