Lunch & a Show Remains

The beloved BGTV is predicted to stay in its new showtime position of lunch on Fridays, as the change has proven to be one for the better.
The common Bishop Gorman student may notice an extra zest to their Friday lunches, this is due to the display of BGTV shown in the Commons during this time. This showtime is new for The G, as previously the show ran during First or Fourth period to replace announcements on Friday.
The change hasn’t come without its controversy. Students have seen pros and cons to the switch, especially students in BGTV. “As much as I like watching BGTV at lunch, I think more people watched and really paid more attention when it was shown in the classroom.” Shared Senior Practicum BGTV student Gia Smith. Teenagers have a low attention span and a setting where teens are surrounded by their friends doesn’t make matters any better. Eyes actually watching the show decrease dramatically as the show runs.
However, the showtime change decision did not come without its potential benefits. “It was discussed moving it from during class to the lunch period so that we wouldn’t have to worry about how long it is as much. We could have a little more freedom in doing it.” Informs Jason Valle, BGTV teacher. Before BGTV was shown at lunch, students were under a strict restriction that the show may be no longer than 10 minutes, but because of the adjustment students were not limited to how long the show is every week.
“My initial reaction, at first, was concern, because anytime there’s a change, there’s always some sort of a period of adjustment.” Valle articulates. This is the first year BGTV has been shown at lunch, so this may be the period of adjustment. Students may not be able to fully respect or pay attention to the entirety of the show until later on. Despite Valle’s initial concerns, his worries diluted after noticing the benefits. “I got a little excited because it meant that it was a new opportunity for students to instead of just watching it in the classroom to be able to watch it in a group environment. So far, it seems to have worked out that way, at least in my opinion.”
As for the chance that BGTV goes back to its original showtime, Valle doesn’t see that happening anytime soon. “I don’t think it’s failing at what it’s doing. I think it’s working. I know not everyone watches it during lunch, but not everyone watches it during class either.”