Holy Halloween

Fr. Bill gives out 10 bags of candy for Trick or Treating, and explains the religious significance behind Halloween. 

Photo By Ella Cromer

A portion of halloween candy prepared for trick or treaters at Fr. Bill and Fr. Jojo’s home

By Ella Cromer '23, Galea Editor

Fr. Bill celebrates a cheerful halloween, with his preparations for trick or treating at his house.

“I had purchased 10 bags of candy, each has 300 pieces, so I have 3,000 pieces of candy ready.” 

Photo By Ella Cromer

Fr. Bill had posted on the Holy Spirit bulletin, and told Gorman students at mass that he and Fr. Jojo would hand out candy from 6 p.m. until 9 p.m on Oct. 31st. Fr. Bill and Fr. Jojo invited many to their home, where they welcomed and gave candy to both parishioners and non parishoners. 

Historically, many Catholics used Halloween to dress up as their favorite saint, similar to how people dress up for Halloween still to this day. Fr. Bill explains that there is religious significance behind Halloween, and it is connected to the holy day, All Saints day. 

“Halloween means “Eve of All Hallows Day”, and “All Hallows” is the old British name for All Saints Day, where we honor all persons in heaven, not just those who are canonized or have a feast on the Catholic calendar.” 

Following Halloween, November 1 is all saints day, where three masses are held at Holy Spirit to celebrate the Holy Day: 7:30 a.m. noon, and 6 p.m. November 2 is also the feast of all souls, where people are welcome to attend mass to remember their friends and family who have passed away, especially in the last year. The masses will be held at 7:30 a.m. and 6 p.m.